Kata wish sama artinya dengan ekspresi "would like":
- I wish I had a big house = I would like to have a big house.
- I wish I had been there = I would like to have been there.
- I wish you would stop talking = I would like you to stop talking.
- I wish to see the manager = I would like to see the manager.
- I wish you a Merry Christmas = I would like you to have a Merry Christmas.
Fungsi utama dari kata "wish" adalah untuk mengekspresikan penyesalan.
- I wish (that) I weren't here now.
- I wish (that) I didn't have to go to school tomorrow.
- I wish (that) I had studied harder when I was at school.
Tenses yang mengikuti wish sama dengan second dan third conditionals.
Kata that dapat dihilangkan dalam percakapan tidak resni.
Ekspresi wish … would digunakan untuk membicarakan tentang keinginan agar orang lain melakukan sesuatu:
- I wish you would tidy your room.
- I wish you wouldn't always come home so late.
Dalam situasi tidak resmi, wish + (object) + infinitive dapat digunakan seperti pemakaian kata "want":
- I wish to speak to the director.
- Do you wish me to serve refreshments, sir?
- Wish is also used in some fixed expressions:
- I/we wish you a Merry Christmas (and a Happyy New Year).
- I/we wish you well/all the best.