Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, May 16, 2009

Must vs Have to

Kita gunakan ‘must‘ untuk menunjukkan kalau kita itu yakin akan sesuatu dan sesuatu itu pasti benar adanya. Biasanya diikuti dengan alasan yang kuat.

  • There’s no heating on. You must be freezing.
  • You must be worried that she is so late coming home.
  • I can’t remember what I did with it. I must be getting old.
  • It must be nice to live in Florida.

Kita juga menggunakan ‘must‘ untuk mengekspresikan keharusan yang kuat. Artinya pembicara hampir sangat setuju akan keharusan tersebut.

  • I must go to bed earlier.
  • They must do something about it.
  • You must come and see us some time.
  • I must say, I don’t think you were very nice to him.

Kita gunakan ‘have to‘ untuk mengekspresikan keharusan yang sangat kuat. Keharusan yang timbul karena faktor luar.

  • I have to arrive at work at 9 sharp. My boss is very strict.
  • We have to give him our answer today or lose out on the contract.
  • You have to pass your exams or the university will not accept you.
  • I have to send a report to Head Office every week.

Dalam British English, digunakan ‘have got to‘ yang artinya sama dengan ‘have to’.

  • I’ve got to take this book back to the library or I’ll get a fine.
  • We’ve got to finish now as somebody else needs this room.

Kita bisa juga gunakan ‘ will have to‘ untuk membicarakan keharusn. Sama seperti Must, keharusan yang bersumber dari diri pribadi yang menyatakan “memang” sesuatu itu harus.

  • I’ll have to speak to him.
  • We’ll have to have lunch and catch up on all the gossip.
  • They’ll have to do something about it.
  • I’ll have to get back to you on that.

Mustn’t artinya dilarang.

  • We mustn’t talk about it. It’s confidential.
  • I mustn’t eat chocolate. It’s bad for me.
  • You mustn’t phone me at work. We aren’t allowed personal calls.
  • They mustn’t see us talking or they’ll suspect something.

Gunakan ‘don’t have to‘ (atau ‘haven’t got to’ dalam British English) untuk bentuk negatif dari have to.

  • We don’t have to get there on time. The boss is away today.
  • I don’t have to listen to this. I’m leaving.
  • You don’t have to come if you don’t want to.
  • He doesn’t have to sign anything if he doesn’t want to at this stage.
  • I haven’t got to go. Only if I want to

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer