Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, May 16, 2009

Had Better

Gunakan “had better” ditambah dengan infinitive without “to” berarti untuk menyarankan sesuatu di masa sekarang atau masa depan.

  • You’d better tell her everything.
  • I’d better get back to work.
  • We’d better meet early.

Bentuk negatifnya adalah “had better not”.

  • You’d better not say anything.
  • I’d better not come.
  • We’d better not miss the start of his presentation.

Gunakan “had better” untuk memberikan saran tentang situasi yang spesifik, bukan hal yang umum. Kalau ingin membicarakan situasi yang umum, gunakan “should”.

  • You should brush your teeth before you go to bed.
  • I shouldn’t listen to negative people.
  • He should dress more appropriately for the office.

Kalau ingin memberikan nasihat tentang situasi yang spesific, should juga bisa dipakai.

  • You shouldn’t say anything.
  • I should get back to work.
  • We should meet early.

Tapi, kalau kita pakai “had better” berarti apabila saran yang diberikan tidak dikerjakan, sesuatu yang buruk akan terjadi.

  • You’d better do what I say or else you will get into trouble.
  • I’d better get back to work or my boss will be angry with me.
  • We’d better get to the airport by five or else we may miss the flight.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer