Kita menggunakan 'should have' untuk menyatakan peristiwa yang telah terjadi di masa lampau.
- I should have let her know what was happening but I forgot.
- He should have sent everybody a reminder by email.
- They should have remembered that their guests don't eat pork.
Kita juga menggunakan 'should have' untuk berspekulasi tentang suatu peristiwa yang mungkin telah terjadi atau mungkin juga tidak terjadi di masa lampau.
- She should have got the letter this morning. I expect she'll give us a call about it later.
- He should have arrived at his office by now. Let's try ringing him.
- They should have all read that first email by this stage. It's time to send the next one.
Kita memakai 'should not have' untuk berspekulasi secara negatif tentang apa yang mungkin telah terjadi atau mungkin juga tidak terjadi.
- She shouldn't have left work yet. I'll call her office.
- He shouldn't have boarded his plane yet. We can probably still get hold of him.
- They shouldn't have sent the report off for printing yet. There is still time to make changes.
Kita juga menggunakan 'should not have' untuk menyatakan suatu penyesalan akan apa yang telah terjadi di masa lampau.
- I shouldn't have shouted at you. I apologise.
- We shouldn't have left the office so late. We should have anticipated this bad traffic.
- They shouldn't have sacked him. He was the most creative person on their team.