Penggunaan kata say dan tell lebih jelasnya dapat dilihat pada materi Reported Speech. :
- "I am going to the shop." - He said (that) he was going to the shop.
- "Sit down and open your books." - She told us to sit down and open our books.
- "Will you come with us tomorrow?" - He asked me if I would go with them the following day.
Namun, Orang-orang Inggris dan Amerika, jarang menggunakan kata-kata tersebut dalam Reporting Verbs. Mereka sering menggunakan kata lain untuk mengantikan say dan tell. Perhatikan contoh berikut ini:
- "I didn't do it!" - He said that he hadn't done it.
(= He denied doing it.)
- "I'll bring the book back tomorrow." - She said that she would bring the book back the following day.
(= She promised to bring the book back the following day.)
- "Please will you think about it some more?" - He asked me if I would think about it some more.
(= He begged me to think about it some more.)
- "First you should put the money in the slot and then you should press the button." - She said that I should first put the money in the slot and then press the button.
(= She explained what I should do.)
Strukturnya dapat dilihat di bawah ini:
- deny + that-clause ATAU
- deny + -ing form
- promise + infinitive
- beg + object + infinitive