Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, May 18, 2009

Rather

Rather digunakan sebagai Adverb of Degree. artinya "agak" :

Rather (Agak)

  • It's rather cold/difficult.
  • Let me give you a different book - I think you'll find it rather easier.
  • The train was rather too crowded for a comfortable journey.
  • The dress was rather more expensive than I was expecting it would be, so I didn't buy it.
  • She answered the telephone rather sleepily.
  • I've rather foolishly lost their address.
  • I rather think you should consider the trouble this decision will cause.
  • I rather doubt I'll be able to come to your party.
  • She's rather an egoistic, don't you think?
  • It's a rather boring film.

Kalau dipakai dengan ekspresi ide, gagasan yang bersifat positif, rather artinya "Tidak biasa " atau "Tidak terduga":

Rather (Sangat)

  • I was rather pleased to be invited to the wedding.
  • Actually, I did rather well in my exams.
  • He's a rather nice man.
  • He's rather a nice man.
Rather (Lebih Tepatnya)
  • She'll go to London on Thursday, or rather, she will if she has to.
  • He's my sister's friend really, rather than mine.
  • The dress is rather pink than purple.

Rather bisa juga digunakan untuk mengekspresikan sebuah pendapat yang berlawanan.

  • The ending of the war is not a cause for celebration, but rather for regret that it ever happened.
  • No, I'm not tired. Rather the opposite in fact.

Rather (Lebih Baik)

  • I think I'd like to stay at home this evening rather than going out.
  • Why don't you wear the black shoes rather than the brown ones?
  • He likes starting early rather than staying late.

Rathey (Ya!, Tentu Saja!)

  • "Do you want to come out for dinner with us this evening?" "Rather!"

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer