Rather digunakan sebagai Adverb of Degree. artinya "agak" :
- It's rather cold/difficult.
- Let me give you a different book - I think you'll find it rather easier.
- The train was rather too crowded for a comfortable journey.
- The dress was rather more expensive than I was expecting it would be, so I didn't buy it.
- She answered the telephone rather sleepily.
- I've rather foolishly lost their address.
- I rather think you should consider the trouble this decision will cause.
- I rather doubt I'll be able to come to your party.
- She's rather an egoistic, don't you think?
- It's a rather boring film.
Kalau dipakai dengan ekspresi ide, gagasan yang bersifat positif, rather artinya "Tidak biasa " atau "Tidak terduga":
- I was rather pleased to be invited to the wedding.
- Actually, I did rather well in my exams.
- He's a rather nice man.
- He's rather a nice man.
- She'll go to London on Thursday, or rather, she will if she has to.
- He's my sister's friend really, rather than mine.
- The dress is rather pink than purple.
Rather bisa juga digunakan untuk mengekspresikan sebuah pendapat yang berlawanan.
- The ending of the war is not a cause for celebration, but rather for regret that it ever happened.
- No, I'm not tired. Rather the opposite in fact.
Rather (Lebih Baik)
- I think I'd like to stay at home this evening rather than going out.
- Why don't you wear the black shoes rather than the brown ones?
- He likes starting early rather than staying late.
Rathey (Ya!, Tentu Saja!)
- "Do you want to come out for dinner with us this evening?" "Rather!"