Little artinya sedikit dan diletakkan sebelum kata benda tidak dapat dihitung (uncountable nouns):
- There is little water left, so drink only what you must.
- I have little reason to think they will help.
Few digunakan dengan kata benda jamak:
- There are few men who are capable of doing it.
- I know few places that I could recommend to you.
Little dan few mengandung arti negatif:
- I have little reason to think they will help = I would like to have more reason, but unfortunately I haven't.
- I know few places that I could recommend to you = I would like to be able to recommend more places, but unfortunately there aren't more.
Little dan few adalah bentuk formal, sedangkan untuk membuatnya tidak formal, cukup tambahkan not much dan not many:
- I don't have much reason to think they will help.
- I don't know many places that I could recommend to you.
Kalau kita memakai article a sebelum little dan few, maka mengandung arti positif, sama dengan some:
- We've got a little bread = We've got some bread.
- We've got a few biscuits = We've got some biscuits.
Sebelum Pronoun atau Determiner, (a) little of dan (a) few of digunakan:
- Take a little of this and a little of that.
- Sorry, but we only have a little of it.
- Take a few of these and a few of those.
- Sorry, but we only have a few of them.