Kata kerja lie dan lay sering membingungkan kita. Perhatikan bentuk perbedaannya seperti berikut ini:
Kata Kerja lie memiliki 2 arti yang berbeda:
- The mechanic was lying on his back underneath my car.
- The cat just loves to lie in front of the fire.
- She lay back in the dentist's chair and tried to relax.
- Lie still a moment, John.
- He lies awake at night, worrying.
- He lay down on the bed and cried.
- I usually lie down (=rest/sleep) for an hour after lunch
- Snow lay thickly over the fields.
- Both witnesses lied to the police about what happened in the accident.
- Don't trust her - she's lying.
- I used to lie about my age but nowadays I don't bother.
- She lied her way past the guards.
Sedangkan kata kerja lay artinya Meletakkan:
- She laid the baby (down) in its cot.
- I'll lay your coats on the bed upstairs.
- Perhaps we should lay paper over the floor while we're decorating the room.
- She laid aside her book and went to answer the phone.
- The dog laid its ears back (=put them flat against its head) and howled.
- He laid down his knife and fork, saying he couldn't possibly eat any more.
- Lay the rug flat on the ground.
- There will be some disruption for the next few weeks while contractors lay a new cable/sewer.
- We're having a new carpet laid in the hall next week.
- They've been laying bricks (=making a wall with bricks) for two weeks and the first floor is already finished.
Lie (Berbohong) adalah Regular Verb (Kata Kerja Beraturan):
- He is not to be trusted. He will always lie if he thinks it will help him.
- You lied to me, child!
- I have lied to him for his own sake.
Lie (Berbaring) adalah Irregular Verb (Kata Kerja Tidak Beraturan):
- She usually lies down for a couple of hours after lunch.
- He lay perfectly still, hoping that they wouldn't find him.
- The jungle had lain undisturbed for thousands of years.
Lay (Meletakkan) adalah Irregular Verb (Kata Kerja Tidak Beraturan):
- Jenny lays the table for dinner every day.
- We lay newspaper on the floor to stop the paint spoiling the wooden boards.
- The hens have laid eight eggs.