Gunakanlah 'should' untuk memberikan saran atau nasihat.
- You should speak to him about it.
- You should see a doctor.
- You should ask a lawyer.
Gunakan juga 'should' untuk memberikan pendapat atau rekomendasi.
- We should invest more in China.
- They should do something about this terrible train service.
- He should resign.
'Should' itu digunakan untuk mengekspresikan pendapat pribadi dan sering didahului dengan 'I think'.
- I think they should replace him.
- I don't think they should keep the contract.
- Do you think I should tell her?
Kita memakai 'should' setelah 'reporting verbs' seperti demand, insist, propose, recommend, dan suggest
- He demanded that we should pay for the repair.
- She insisted that she should pay for the meal.
- I have proposed that he should take charge of the organization.
- The committee recommends that Jane should be appointed.
- We have suggested that Michael should be given a reward for his hard work.
Namun, kita juga bisa menghilangkan kata "should" dan menggunakan infinitive tanpa "to" (Subjunctive).
- He demanded that we pay for the repair.
- She insisted that she pay for the meal.
- I have proposed that he take charge of the organization.
- The committee recommends that Jane be appointed.
- We have suggested that Michael be given a reward for his hard work.
Kita memakai 'should' setelah Adjectives. Kata sifat yang sering diikutinya adalah funny, interesting, natural, odd, strange, surprised, surprising, typical
- It's funny that you should say that. I was thinking exactly the same thing.
- It's interesting that they should offer him the job. Not an obvious choice.
- It's natural that you should be anxious. Nobody likes speaking in public.
- Isn't it odd that he should be going to the same tiny hotel? What a coincidence.
- It's strange that you should think so. Nobody else does.
Kita memakai 'should' dalam 'if clauses' ketika kita percaya bahwa kemungkinan yang kita buat itu kecil untuk terjadinya.
- If you should happen to see him before I do, can you tell him that I want to speak to him urgently?
- If there should be a problem, just give me a call and I'll sort it out.
- If anyone should ask where I am, say I'm in a meeting.
Kita memakai 'should' untuk mengekspresikan kalau kita betul-betul setuju
- They're paying you compensation? I should think so.
"Should" juga digunakan untuk mengekspresikan kesenangan ketika kita menerima hadiah
- What a fantastic present. You really shouldn't have.
"Should" juga digunakan untuk menekankan emosi yang tidak nampak
- You should have seen the look on her face when she found out that she had got the promotion.