Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, May 18, 2009

Suppose

Suppose artinya "Andaikan/Seandainya"

  • I suppose you'll be meeting Danielle when you go to Paris?
  • When you weren't there, I supposed you must have been held up.
  • I suppose you two know each other?

'suppose' tidak umum digunakan dalam bentuk Continuous. Kita tidak boleh mengucapkan 'I am supposing'.

  • Now I suppose we'll have to do something else.
  • We're waiting for John and I suppose he must be stuck in traffic.
  • At this moment I suppose it doesn't matter

Ketika kita merespon sebuah pendapat dengan 'suppose', kita dapat menambahnya dengan 'so' untuk menghindari pengulangan apa yang sudah diucapkan sebelumnya.

  • Is Susan coming to this meeting? ~ -I suppose so.

'Supposed to be' artinya 'Katanya/Dipercaya'.

  • The new James Bond movie is supposed to be excellent.
  • He is supposed to have been rude to Mark but I don't believe it.
  • It is supposed to be the best restaurant in town.

'Supposed to be' dapat juga digunakan untuk berbicara tentang sesuatu yang sudah disusun atau diharapkan. Artinya sama dengan 'should' (seharusnya).

  • I'm supposed to get to work by 8.
  • John is supposed to turn off all the lights when he leaves.
  • I'm supposed to pay my rent on the first of the month.

'Suppose' dapat juga digunakan sebagai Conjunction yang artinya 'Bagaimana Jika'.

  • Suppose we take the earlier train to Munich? It would give us more time there. ~ Suppose we took the plane instead? That would give us even more time.
  • There's nobody in reception to let our visitors in. ~ Suppose I sit there until somebody comes?
  • I'm going to ask him for a pay increase. ~ Suppose he said 'no'? What would you do?

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer